Monday, October 8, 2012

The journey continues


Time is beginning to fly by. Next week we will be going on our mini outreach, and then continuing lectures again until December when we go on our long outreach to somewhere unknown. Last week I started teaching the ELS (English Language School), parts have been challenging but overall very fun to get to know other students and help out. There are students from the age of 18 to 68, one being a very opinionated Pastor. Being a student in the DTS is very time consuming, so adding teaching on top of that has taken up all free time.  

I’m now on my third month out of the six months I will be spending here in Arusha, Tanzania. As most of you know, I came here with a one way ticket… so the possibilities are endless. Am I supposed to go home so that I can get a job and wait for the next missions opportunity? Am I supposed to stay in Tanzania? Go to Kenya?

Ever since I have been here one of my prayers has been that God would reveal to me where I am supposed to go. This last week God has shown me that Nairobi Kenya will be the next journey. My sister, Elissa, will also be heading to Nairobi around when I graduate from the DTS. I will be joining her to do ministry work in the Kibera slum with Thomas and Beatrice Omolo.  Then I will probably return in August 2013 with my parents.

The culture is much different from where I am staying now in Tanzania, Kenya is much more westernized however there is also poverty everywhere. The need in the slums is surreal, people digging in trash to try and find their next meal, children playing in human waste and one of the things that really effected me was seeing baby coffins being sold on the side of the road.

God has given me a heart for Africa for a reason, not so that I can go home, live a comfortable life and ignore His calling.  Although I’m going to be honest, living here has it’s struggles. The cultural differences are hard to get used to. None of that is a good enough excuse for me to come home though.  

When I started the DTS we were told to pick a theme for ourselves, each person would pick something different. Mine is OPEN MY EYES, because I don’t want to continue to be blinded by the American culture or the people around me. My desire is for God to open my eyes to the things unseen and the forgotten people around the world. I believe that going to Kenya will be a result of this prayer, God will continue to open my eyes.

I am so excited to pursue this journey, however I can’t do it alone. There are going to need to be people backing me up both spiritually and financially. I will need people to be committed to pray for me. Supporting this journey monthly with finances would be another way to help.  I’ll have to purchase a bus ticket to get to Kenya, a new visa, transportation, plus everyday living expenses.  I know that God provides in amazing ways and I believe He will make this a reality.  

If God is putting it on your heart to help financially with this journey please send me a message on Facebook or email me at Maddy.mzungu@gmail.com

For those of you who want to partner with me in prayer, here are some requests:
- That God would continue to show me His will
- For financial support
- Physical health
- Safety

Thank you all so much for all of your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment