Monday, August 6, 2012

Park day

Going to a park doesn’t seem like that big of deal to us, but to these children who never leave the slum, it’s a BIG DEAL! To watch them touch grass for the first time and be able to run around a play in a big open field without any worries was such a blessing.  With 310 children we kept very busy!


While most of the team played Awana games I stayed aside to watch everyone’s backpacks. A little girl who was about three years old hopped into my lap and sat there the whole time. She hardly spoke any English, the only thing I got out of her was her name, which is Grace.  Luckily my middle name is Grace so it would be easy to remember.  Although we couldn’t communicate much she was instantly my best friend or as she would say it “rafiki”. 



This is one of the other little girls, she didn’t come to me, but there was something about her that I couldn’t resist. She had a sad look on her face almost the whole time we were at the park and was very shy.  Her name is Mercy and she is beautiful! I started asking about her family and she told me she has a little brother and her mother she lives with, although it might not sound like a bad situation, knowing how the single woman live in the slum is heartbreaking. They always have to worry about being taken out of their homes, beaten and rapped. It is something that is a reality for them on a daily basis. Mercy didn’t tell me much about her story, but the look in her eyes was very sad. When I sat down next to her she instantly laid her head down on my lap, I started rubbing her back and she started to doze off. Everywhere I went after that she was right by my side holding my hand until it was time to go.

                                                    Mercy is the one in the bottom middle 

I cannot even imagine what these kids have to go through every single day. Walking through their living conditions for one day was completely draining for me both physically and mentally.  I don’t know how, but they have hope! Hope that brings them so much joy! It is a true testament of God’s faithfulness.  God is doing some amazing things here in Kenya, if I had the time to write them all down I would. 

Please continue to pray for the team! 



                                                      Overlooking Nairobi, Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment